Have a Happy, Green New Year!!










Wednesday, June 10, 2009

You A Greenie?

You a greenie? This is not a judgment, just a question I am asking of people I talk with on occasion. If your answer is yes, that's great! I enjoy associating myself with socially conscious, like minded individuals. Some people have even asked me to help them become greener. I welcome this challenge also because it reveals the individual’s desire to make a change. Being a “greenie” starts with a conscience, then an act.

I believe that it is every Entrepreneur’s responsibility to be socially responsible.
So, as my business plans became more focused, I decided to step up my own efforts to be even greener. I took stock of my efforts to help the environment and looked for additional changes that I could make. The simple ideas that materialized are this week’s green tips:
  • I changed all the light bulbs in my home to energy saving bulbs. The initial investments were a little more but some bulbs have lasted more than a year.
  • I utilize Mass Transit and car sharing - Philly Car Share (Hybrid Vehicles Only) for business travel.
  • I gave my support to groups and businesses that truly support green and sustainable causes.
  • When visiting cafes, I request mugs, plates and non-disposable utensils.
  • I signed up to have my name removed from ‘junk mail’ lists. Check out:
    www.thegreenmailbox.com.
Urban Aesthetics is a “Greenie”. The title of this blog is “U A Greenie” which stands for Urban Aesthetics [is a] Greenie. I took the same efforts that I utilized on a personal level and added them to my business practices. During this year's planning process, I created a “Green Initiative” for my business. In addition, we have added additional green services including Green Product Specifications and Green Client Initiatives with plans to add Home Energy Audits in the near future. We employ LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) AP personnel including Designers, Engineers and Architects.
Urban Aesthetics is a proud supporter of the following green groups:
  • Sustainable Business Network
  • Delaware Valley Green Building Council
  • The Greater Philadelphia Green Business Program
  • C.A.M.P. Sustain.Ability
So, I ask one last time, you a greenie? If not now, I hope you are on your way!