Have a Happy, Green New Year!!










Tuesday, June 2, 2009

GREEN

Being green is not a marketing campaign. Green is a way of life. To be truly green, your thinking changes, your day-to-day lifestyle changes and your habits change. Greening is a process which goes beyond taking a class, an exam and declaring your business green. Being green means that you truly care about helping the environment and you are doing your best to make it better.



I have been green for more than a decade. In college, while studying subjects such as Environmental Science, Urban Planning and Sustainable Design, I made the choice to be an Environmentalist. I had a green job before it was popular to call jobs green. I worked as an advocate for the Delaware Valley Citizens Council for Clean Air (Clean Air Council). While employed at the Clean Air Council, I headed the office Waste Reduction Team and also operated the Recycling Hotline. I also worked on the Pollution Prevention Program, funded by the Environmental Protection Agency.

During my senior year at Temple University, I also completed an Internship researching Environmental Injustice and Brownfields. For a period of time, I abandoned my thinking about the Environment because I was employed in a profession where we not only used too much paper but at the time, there was not a great concern for Sustainable Design. But green has proven to be something that is not going away. As I made my journey back to green, former Vice President Al Gore helped to solidify my thinking. He brought awareness to an extremely important topic. Now, I Am Greener Than Ever!!!

My thinking is green, my lifestyle is green and my business is green.

Yes, Urban Aesthetics is Green. Gold + Blue does make green!

This Week's Green Tip: Install a tankless water heater. Help save the environment by cutting back on energy usage. Conventional water heaters utilize energy (gas, electric, etc.) to consistently heat a tank full of water in order to keep steady temperature. In contrast, tankless water heaters have a heating element that heats water on contact. This cuts back on the continuous energy used to heat water in a tank. An added benefit is the constant flow of hot water as opposed to using all of the water heated within your hot water tank.